Thursday, April 4, 2013

Bye bye civilization, hello sand!

Amanda and I made it to Casablanca safe and sound a few days ago although not without a bit of drama to start out. Our hotel was overbooked so they offered to put us up in a 'local' riad around the corner. It was a bit unnerving being led down tiny alleys / streets in the Medina to a large, unmarked steel door but the place was ok (thanks to Amanda French ) and was a neat Moroccan experience.

I've had a few days in OZZ (Ouarzazate) which is billed as the gateway to the desert and is the launching point for the 6 hour bus ride to the first bivouac tomorrow (Friday) morning at 8 am. I've met a few other participants and everyone seems to be in about the same mental state as me - obsessing about details, probably in an attempt to avoid dwelling on the fact that we're about to spend a week in the searing daytime heat and near freezing nights living off only what we've brought in out tiny 20 - 30 liter packs. I can't wait to get out there and start running so I can see first hand what all the fuss is about. It should be fun (don't quote me on that, I yet) :-)

The N. American organizer, Jay, put on a bag packing and info session this morning which was fun. I managed to squish everything I need into the pack I brought for a final total of 20 lbs - 10 of which is food. A bit heavier than I'd hoped, but since I'm bigger than most ultra nutz I figure I will need all the food I packed - 3500 calories most days (more serious / seasoned competitors will take the minimum allowed 2000 per day) . Even so, I expect to lose about a pound or so per day (not counting water loss which I will hopefully avoid). If I change my mind after the first day I'm sure that there will many willing recipients of any food I ditch.

My next post will be from the middle of nowhere after stage one Sunday night, assuming there is no sandstorm and the crew can get the email tent open, the satellite link connected, and إن شاء الله

A bit more packing, dinner with Scott and a couple new friends, sleep, and off I go...

No comments: